Keep moving forward. How do you keep moving forward?
How To Keep Moving Forward When You Don’t Know What To Do
Are you the type of person who likes to have it all together, figured out, and know where you’re going before you take a step forward? I totally am, naturally. Following Jesus has changed me, but that sense of control has been the hardest for me to let go of. The path God leads us on isn’t always so clear, but He asks us to trust Him. “We walk by faith and not by sight.” (2 Corinthians 5:7).“We walk by faith and not by sight.” Click To Tweet
I have allowed the fear of failure and the unknown to stop me from taking steps forward more than any other thing. But I’ve learned a lot about moving forward. I don’t have everything figured out, but because I am learning to trust God’s way more than my own. He’s a good teacher.
Learning To Walk Again
A couple of years ago, in 2016, I had an emotional, mental, and physical breakdown. For months, I would weep uncontrollably into my husband’s chest crying out, “I don’t know what to do. I don’t know what to do!” When I was at my worst, the most debilitating feeling was having no hope for my future. Everything was dark, and I could not see. I allowed fear to paralyze me and keep me from moving forward.
I was down and out for about a year and half. Most of that time was spent recovering, and learning how to walk again. The first steps were the hardest. But the Lord, in His kindness, patience, and love, kept calling me out.
10 Things You Need to Know About Taking Steps Forward
Whether you’re working up the courage to take the first step, or beginning again after a set back, I want to share with you 10 things I learned about the steps it takes to move forward.
- God is only asking for one step at a time, so take that step.
- We don’t have to have it all figured out before we take a step, because God already does.
- If we are asking God to guide us, He absolutely will direct our steps.
- We don’t have to fear missteps, because God can work all things for our good and His purpose.
- Most times we don’t know what’s coming next until we take a step, but that’s what it means to walk by faith.
- Sometimes the steps we take feel lonely, but God promised to never leave us.
- We don’t have to fear losing God’s love when we trip, tumble, or fall, because His love is unending
- God cheers us on like a loving father watching his child take their first steps.
- It really is about the journey, and God is with us every step of the way.
- Just when we think we have this walking thing figured out, God asks us to do something new. The it feels like we are learning to walk all over again.
These lyrics from Steffany Gretzinger’s new song “Oxygen” say it so well;
Sometimes my very best
Is only my weakest yes
You see strength in every movement
Baby steps and short breaths
Anything is progress
You sustain my every moment
The Best Steps
The best steps are the ones we take in obedience toward our God-given destiny. Those aren’t easy, and we meet resistance every step of the way, but let’s keep moving forward anyway.“Obedience will cost us everything. But what we count as loss is nothing compared to what we gain, because we gain Christ.” Click To Tweet
Obedience will cost us everything. But what we count as loss is nothing compared to what we gain, because we gain Christ. In losing our life, we find our life in Him.
Encouraging you on,